During normal login with the Runescape Gold Client, I was presented with a window that
encouraged me to try the HTML 5 beta. I decided to give it a try and clicked ok.
My web browser started up (huh?) — Opera 12.00 — and presented this error message:
Error_game_webgl – Your browser or device doesn’t support WebGL.
RuneScape uses WebGL to display its 3D world, but unfortunately it looks like your web browser or device doesn’t support it.
There are a few simple solutions to this problem:
1. If you’re not already using a compatible browser, you can download an updated one. We recommend the latest version of Google’s Chrome browser.
2. If you are sure you are using a compatible browser, try closing it and opening it again (particularly if you have a yellow bar telling you that “WebGL hit a snag”;)
3. Update your device’s graphics drivers – if you are using Chrome already and it does not work after restarting, this is almost certainly the cause of the problem. Old graphics drivers are frequently ‘blacklisted’ due to security concerns.
4. If you have Java installed, use our Java web client instead of the HTML5 one.
5. Install our downloadable Java client.
Okay, I was using the Java client. Why did my browser start?